Monday, March 30, 2009

Why?

DSC_2038_2

Last night, I put the kids to bed. All was quiet for about 20 minutes, until I heard a soft voice at the top of the steps saying "Mommy." I went to see what was going on and Lily was at the top of the stairs with her pajama top unbuttoned.

I went upstairs, buttoned it up and our conversation went like this:

Me - "Ok Lily, its time to go back to bed now."

Lily - "Why?"

Me - "It's night night time"

Lily - "Why?"

Me - "All the kids are in bed now"

Lily - "Why?"

Me - Because its late.

There might have been one more why after that, but I'm not entirely sure. Today I heard that dreaded word about 20 times. I think this is the beginning of a new stage of life with Lily - that in which everything I do or say is questioned!

I am in trouble!!!

15 comments:

carolinagirl said...

Oh no...good luck with that one. I finally broke down at one point with our youngest and actually said, "Because I said so!" after one of his many "why" tirades! I didn't think I would ever say that since my mom used to. Ha!

Jboo said...

Oh yeah -- good luck with that one -- the why questions go on for years, don't they!

Hope you have a good week!

Janet

Anonymous said...

what a clever little girl! good luck

Anonymous said...

I love Lily stories.

Stacy

Kim said...

Oh boy, yes your in TROUBLE! We still get asked this several times a day.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

LOL.....I remember the Why? stage.....it is enough to drive you crazy some days!!

Cute picture:)

Lisa

Shawn said...

Welcome to my world! Love the photo.

Sharon said...

OMGosh! I have lately heard one why, so thank for preparing me. I forgot what that could signify, although I do remember feeling a little worried when I heard it but couldn't quite grasp why!! haha
GREAT shot fo the why! Such a cute post!

Eloise said...

That cute Lily! At least you don't ever have to worry about someone ever bossing her around!

Great picture, too!

The Ordinary Horse said...

Ha, ha...yes, you are! I remember when Allie went thru that. Get ready for the next phase which is "why" followed by a negotiation. Ah, joy! That Lily is so smart and so cute. Love the picture!

Sharon said...

I have been thinking of you because right after we I left the comment yesterday, we went out to the trampoline where Bailey began to say "watch me mommy" watch dis, over and over. So i just know the ywhy is next, but what is up with that! I am going to link your post tomorow when I tell this if its okay with you!!

Congrats on one year!! I cannot beleive how it has flown by! With that move, you sure have had quite an eventful time and seem to sail right through! You are amazing Rachel. I really feel like we have done this together since i followed every word of your chine trip like my life depended on it! haha

Jenny said...

It seems I've been in the "why" stage for several years now...

Great photo!

Melanie said...

Yeah! The dreaded 3 letter word has hit your home too. How fun! :D
I hope you enjoyed the weather on Thursday...looks like we have some snow coming. I dread that four letter word, too!!

3 Peanuts said...

Oh I despise that phase:) It is almost as bad as the giving up of the nap phase.... She sure looks cute in that photo though.

Stacie said...

oh how i hate that word... z says "but whyyyyyy" and "what"? the other day i asked her if she couldn't hear what i was saying or just did not understand what i was saying? she replied with "what?"