Saturday, March 29, 2008

Accepting Daddy

Well, you can guess from the title what was the excitement of today! Lily seemed to start to accept Jeff as part of her life.

Before I get to the day, I want to let everyone know that I realized there was a problem with a lot of my posts. I was emailing in the posts and when I sent an email with pictures in the middle, only the text before the first picture was showing up. So, I have edited them and added the correct text. If you thought the entries ended abruptly or seemed incomplete, this is why and its now fixed!

Lily woke up on and off from about 5:30-7:00, which meant at this point she would only sleep or be calm on my chest. This prevented me from taking a shower before we got dressed. So, she got up around 7, had her bottle, and then called home to grandma, grandpa, and the boys. I have been so stressed about Lily that I haven't even mentioned them - they seem to be doing great at home with my parents. My mom said that they both seem kind of sad at times, but overall are doing well. The big excitement at home this week is that our play structure was installed! The boys are loving it - we called at 7:40 pm VA time yesterday and they were still outside playing. My mom said that today they have already been out there for 1 1/2 hours! Here's the cutest part - my mom said that Ben ran inside and came back with a sign that said (in content, not spelling) "Boys, Doggies, Swiper, and Lily" - as those are all that are allowed in! I want to say a HUGE thanks to my parents for staying with the kids for 3 weeks - I know its hard work and a long time to take out of your lives and Jeff and I really appreciate it.

Here are a few of the boys playing on our new play structure.
















After talking to home, we got on the floor and played with Lily a little bit. We played with the cups and I had Jeff feed her Cheerios while I held her. At first she didn't want them from him, but I wouldn't give them to her. Finally she was accepting the Cheerios from him. We played a little bit longer and then I HAD to take a shower. Lily was not happy about this. She was standing outside the clear shower door crying. Jeff picked her up and they sat outside the shower and she was whimpering. She kept it up while I got dressed and blow dried my hair, but did eventually calm down.

We then went down to breakfast where Ms. Lily refused to eat her yogurt until I had a few bites, too. I guess she's like the old Chinese royalty who need their food tasted first to make sure its not poisoned! :) After breakfast we got some good news. Our agency re-applied for us to visit Lily's orphanage and we were approved so it looks like we will be able to go next week along with the Thatchers. We were very happy about this.

We had a very relaxed day on the island. We walked around to the little shops, went to the park, walked down by the river, and played in the room. As we were walking to the first shop we went to, Lily surprised us both by willingly going to Jeff when he put his arms out! We were both happy, but Jeff was overjoyed. He said he was close to tears, and this is a big deal for Jeff b/c in all the years I've known him I'm not sure he's EVER cried! Lily didn't stay with him long, but that's ok. We let her come back to me so that she doesn't feel forced. Throughout the day she went to him without crying, staying for longer and longer. She even sat on Jeff's lap throughout dinner!

We had another big development today - Lily sat in a stroller! This was huge for me, the one who had been carrying around her over 20 pound self for most of the last five days! She seemed pretty content in there and we made sure to pick her up frequently so, once again, she wouldn't feel she was stuck in there. She even fell asleep in it and slept for over an hour! We borrowed the stroller at the beginning of they day, but ended up buying one - its a pretty nice stroller and it cost all of 180 yuan ($25).

We went to a group dinner organized by Veronica at a Chinese restaurant across from the hotel. The dinner was pretty good, but we would not have gone there on our own. At the front of this restaurant, there are big fish tanks and water with things like sandworms, water beetles, and who knows what else - those were the only little things labeled in English! The other day when I walked by this restaurant they had some stuff hanging inthe window - duck with the head, a chicken with the head, and SOME KIND OF HEART!!! Not a site that makes me want to go there. Veronica ordered us things like chicken, vegetables, rice, pork, etc. and it was pretty good.

That was really our day. We were so happy to see Lily opening up to Jeff. She still has a ways to go - in the hotel room she really wants to be with me. However, we are so excited by the HUGE progress we saw yesterday!

One thing we noticed about Lily today - she has a double cowlick in the back of her head - two swirls. I think that's why her hair sticks up a lot. At one of the stores, the woman told us this meant she was smart, but Veronica said it means she's stubborn. While I know she's smart, I think I believe Veronica on the meaning of the double cowlick! She's not trying to sell us anything. Jeff had noticed this before, but I noticed it b/c some Chinese ladies commented on it. The Chinese ladies also frequently comment on Lily's beauty and how beautiful and light her skin is. I guess this is a good thing for the Chinese and as I look around she really does have beautiful, pale porcelain cheeks! Our Chinese beauty!

Today we are going to a buddhist temple where we can get Lily blessed by a buddhist monk. In the afternoon I think we are going to head to the Guangzhou art market.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow--of course she is the most beautiful little girl in all of China and will be brilliant. At least to us! So happy for all of you that she is making such great progress.

Hugs and kisses.

Love

Mom and Dad

3 Peanuts said...

I agree with your Mom...she is beautiful and I am sure she is brilliant as well. I am so glad that she is starting to trust Jeff. It will help a lot. I know that there are STILL days (1 year later) that Kate stands outside my clear glass shower door while I shower. She doesn't cry anymore but she waits for me there sometimes. I know how Jeff feels about being so thrilled that Lily came to him. I have said it a million times...Our bio kids are born loving us...but we have to earn it with these angels! And it mean SO much!!!!!

I am so glad that more and more of her beautiful personality is emerging. Is she talking at all? I'll bet that she will just soak up the English. How does she do in the bath? I know most of them hate it the first few days but then they love it.

Loving the updates...going to go back and read the edited versions!

Enjoy another day with beautiful and brilliant princess Lily!!!

Kim

Shawn said...

You guys are doing a wonderful job with Lily. A few weeks from now, you'll barely remember these tough moments. So glad the boys are welcoming her from afar and you are so lucky to have such a fantastic support group in your family. Hugs and kisses from Orlando....
Sister

Shawn said...

You guys are doing a wonderful job with Lily. A few weeks from now, you'll barely remember these tough moments. So glad the boys are welcoming her from afar and you are so lucky to have such a fantastic support group in your family. Hugs and kisses from Orlando....
Sister

Tami said...

It's amazing how fast she seems to be adjusting. I'm happy for Jeff, we all know what it feels like for your kids to want the other parent and it must be extra hard in this situation. How exciting that Lily is calling you mama, the first time you hear that just melts your heart! You guys are doing great with her and soon you'll be home! Can't wait to meet Ms. Lily!

Love,
Tami

susan said...

Can't believe i went a whole day without checking your blog! It was worth it because the last two entries were amazing to read. Glad to hear you are all doing so well. It is so fun to see the photos, especially of her gorgeous little smiling face!

Susan

Anonymous said...

Hey Rachel,

So many exciting developments for Lily and the boys! It was great to see Lily smiling in your last post! I could only imagine how rewarding it must have been for you after days of giving to her both emotionally and physically. I am amazed at your strength and patience as a mother. These are the qualities that I couldn't help but to notice and admire from the first day I met you!

I was also happy to see that she is starting to accept and trust Jeff. Soon enough I imagine she will be spending a lot of time going on bike rides, runs and hikes with her Daddy!

It looks like the boys are outwardly preparing for Lily! How thoughtful that they have included her in the "playset club".

Enjoy the one on one time with Lily! Although it must be extremely difficult to be away from the boys and home, what a wonderful opportunity to have this bonding time with her! Your boys couldn't be in better hands!

Looking forward to your next post!


Shannon