Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Mid-winter break

We are right in the middle of mid-winter break around here. The boys have the entire week off of school and we have pretty much nothing going on.

Our week has been full of excitement. Dylan has been feeling under the weather with a mild fever and general yuckiness. Ben is doing a baseball camp in the afternoons. Yesterday, the big event of the day was going to the mall to get Ben new sneakers (his old ones were a size 13, new ones size 1.5 - I felt kind of bad). Today, we played outside for a while. Tonight we went over to a friend's house for dinner. Tomorrow we're going to an early movie. We don't have much else planned for the week, but we will try to get out of the house each morning. Winter break is tough if you are not going on a trip...

On another note... the flowers Jeff got me for our anniversary are opening up beautifully. This bloom is now as big as my hand. Today I had to do the dreaded water change. Why is it dreaded? Well, I have to cut the flowers and I can never manage to do it with a knife the way you're supposed to. So, I use scissors and mourn the fact that I'm accelerating the demise of the flowers. I also have to rearrange the flowers and I can never get it done as well as the flower shop. The flowers themselves are still so beautiful though!

One of the big blooms
DSC_1648

Another picture of the flowers (post-rearrangement by me)
DSC_1657

5 comments:

Kevin said...

I totally love the video of Lily dancing. How totally cute she is!! I think she looks like mia in the video!

How cool to have the mid winter break. I want one!! We get spring break but that is not till the end of march so we have a while to wait.

Have fun with your time off!!!!

Christy :)

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

You are lucky to have a winter break...we don't one around here....the schools only close at Chrismtas and Easter. Sorry to hear Dylan is sick....hope he feels better soon. There is so much going around right now!!

The flowers are gorgeous....I also hate to change the water..not only can I never get the flowers back in there properly, but I think the water always stinks....YUCK!!

Jboo said...

Wow -- those flowers are so beautiful!! I hate the water change and cutting the flowers too. I did mine with a scissors and the tulips I received are already gone!

Have a great winter break!

Janet

3 Peanuts said...

The flowers look beautiful and so does your photography of them. I hate changing the water too especially if is gets a little smelly or slimy (which happens sometimes).

Kim

Eloise said...

I can't believe how well those roses have lasted. Wow! Great pictures too.

I have certainly been there on being a little *behind* in buying bigger shoes for my kids. Their feet seem to grow in fast spurts.

Hope Dylan feels better soon and that the rest of you stay well. Enjoy your break.