Sunday, January 4, 2009

Big progress

I always talk about how wonderfully Lily is adjusting and how blessed we feel for her adjustment and just to have her as a member of our family. While we knew she was adjusting and attaching well, we have not left Lily with any baby sitter since our au pair left in early October. Well, recently that has changed.

First, I've now gone to the gym and left Lily at the childcare there about 5 times. She has done great. A few times she cried right when I left, but they told me it was for less than a minute. The last time we went, she looked up at me and said "Mommy, bye bye, love you" and walked in to play. I consider this such a success. She seems to have fun there and has been totally ok with going. So far, she has gone with her brothers. While she hasn't played with them the entire time, I think there has been some comfort in having them there. I am a little nervous about bringing her this week while Ben and Dylan are in school, but hopefully she'll be ok. The people there are really good and caring and there is a ton to do.

The other big step is that last night we left the kids with a babysitter! I had met the sitter before last night, but Lily hadn't. I had talked to Lily about staying with the sitter and mommy would be going out, but still wasn't sure how it would go. I am happy to report that there were NO TEARS at all - the entire evening. She even went to bed with no problem!!!

This gives me such a degree of happiness and comfort. I love my kids and I love spending time with Lily, but there are times I need to get out. Now I know I can go to a meeting on a school night when Jeff is working late, that I can take one of the boys to do something by themselves if I need to, and that Jeff and I can make plans to go out on the weekend.

Now, of course a few pictures!

Jeff playing Wii tennis
DSC_1059

The boys watching
DSC_1073

Lily with her baby (she wanted this picture taken)
DSC_1074

Lily with her silly smile
DSC_1068

Lily modeling her new jeans. No, they are not acid washed (but they do look it in that picture). Nor are they falling down. What they actually are are LOW RISE toddler jeans! I was so surprised when I put them on her. They look really cute, but who's idea was it to make low rise toddler jeans???
DSC_1058

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

low rise toddler jeans--how does that work without diapers? too cute

Christy said...

Totally love the pics and love the low ride toddler jeans-- too cute!! Congrats on the milestones. I remember when we were able to leave Mia with a babysitter and the freedom we felt by doing so. It was awesome!! I totally am with you on needing to get out and just be away for a while. I love my kids but need a break from them sometimes. It is nice to know you are not damaging them by getting the much needed break we moms so deserve!!!

Congrats!!!

Christy :)

Reena said...

Oh boy! That is a milestone and a half in our book. We would love to leave Josie at the day care at our gym, but have not yet tried it.

We've taken her and one of us has stayed with her-- maybe we should give it a whirl and see what happens.

Jboo said...

So happy to hear that Lily has made so much progress and even with moving and all - that's really great news!

We've got to get our Wii going -- know my hub would love the tennis!

Low ride toddler jeans -- that is too funny! Even at 7, Maddy is still wearing jeans and pants with adjustable waists or they fall off her. Wish I had that problem! :)

Hope you all have a great week!
Janet

Denise said...

We are still having issues with church and babysitters, so I know how glad you are to have Lily managing these transitions well. Maggie seems to do fine if her brothers are with her, but if not, she loses it! Love the toddler jeans...too funny!

Thanks for your card, we ran out of ours, I guess I need to order more next year~

The Ordinary Horse said...

Cute, cute, cute! Look at that little butt in those low-riders! How funny is that... It's hard enough to keep regular rise pants pulled up on Eliza, I couldn't imagine low riders? Where did you find that cute seahorse shirt? Jeff looks like he needs to put a little more swing action into his tennis; I loved the shot of the boys looking on. Great progress on the babysitter front. That's huge. Go, enjoy yourself!

Anonymous said...

Love the smile!!!

3 Peanuts said...

Glad you had a great date night and the babysitter worked out. It is always nerve wracking wondering how they'll do (the girls).

I was just thinking this morning about trying the child care at our gym. I REALLY want to do Pilates and it is hard when Kate only goes to school 2 short mornings. I envision LOTS of tears. I guess I just need to bite the bullet and see how it goes.

Kim

P.S. I posted the discount for the shirts today.

Thatcher Family said...

LOVE the jeans!!! Lily looks so grown up! Hard to believe that we will have to do our 12-month home study update soon! Ava used to cry when I would leave her in the gym day care also, but she would stop as soon as I left. Now she just gives me a kiss and says bye-bye. Lately though Ava is going through a period of being mean to the other kids. She pushes, scratches, and hits. I have been working really hard at home with our gentle touches and nice girl Ava behavior. She has been much better this week. Hopefully its just a phase.

I found a good baby sitter too, but have only used her once. I hope we can have some date nights when Scott gets back in February. We haven't had one since we adopted Ava. Congrats on Lily's progress--you are doing a great job Mom!

Sharon said...

So cute! Low rise baby jeans! I love to hear of Lily's adjustment. Two days ago we all of the sudden found out Bailey wanted to go into the little play area while I grocery shopped. I don't know if she knew I'd not be there so we will see if she will go again. butshe does love to socialize even if not one on one interact with other kids. she just likes to be around them.

Great shots!!